9/12/2012

huckleberries


We head to the foothills of Mount Rainer to pick huckleberries. The air is sweeter up here. And we are closer to the sun. We are taking a Suquamish cedar root basket, almost 100 years old, on this trip. The social life of this basket is just as present and active as we are. The weave is incredible - multiple layers, directions and shades of brown. The inside is stained purple from previous berries.

The huckleberry bushes are dense and we have to drag ourselves through them in pursuit of a more abundant harvest. When we do this I am told the branches pull off the negative energies that have attached to you. And while picking we train our minds to think good thoughts, think about friends and family who will eat these berries when we return home. Caution: negative thoughts will transfer to the berries and make those who consume them sick. I wish I had a song to sing. Instead I occasionally hum and think about the companions on my previous berry picking excursions.

There are more than 20 species of huckleberry.

They are considered an anti-aging food and are even being made into dietary supplements. Antioxidants in the plant protect body tissue from 'free radicals' in cells that cause damage. They prevent inflammation and increase tissue strength.
Huckleberries are one of the only fruits that do not raise blood sugar. All fruits have natural sugars in them, but huckleberries have a compound that actually lowers blood sugar, so the net blood sugar is zero. 
"Wild Rose and Western Red Cedar: The Gifts of the Northwest Plants," Elise Krohn

I find myself smiling later as I lie down to sleep. Purple was my favorite color when I was a little girl.




No comments: