12/15/2011

"It is a protest not a camp"




Less then 24 hours ago Occupy Olympia was issued a "notice" to cease and desist. And in less than 24 hours occupants are expected to disperse. Camp is breaking down. Two thirds of the tents are gone. After 7pm tonight, in the northern darkness, the larger assembly tents were being dismantled. I lingered and learned that camp broke down quite some time ago. The “one bad apple” metaphor is echoing across the less occupied landscape.

Special Legislative Session closed yesterday. State Senators and Representatives have left the capitol and dispersed across the state and are not expected to return until the regularly scheduled legislative session starts again January 9th.

Two state troopers arrived around 6:30pm this evening while I was catching up on things with Oz. The troopers, Herb and Gene, just started their 12 hour shift at 5pm when they learned - for the first time - that the cease and desist order had been issued. They came by to check things out. Turns out they know most everyone in the camp. They come by for visits every shift either to make acquaintance with the local residents or to issue a warrant or investigate a call regarding disturbance. The residents who remain, including individuals who are homeless, protest warriors, sympathizers, engage in respectful conversation with the troopers. At one point they are all in agreement about being in the 99% together and make reference to the state employees and elected and appointed officials just up the hill. Those who issued this cease and desist order are also a part of the 99%. I raise my hand and concur, yes we are, and some of us are listening. This gesture grants me entrance and attention in the conversation. The troopers are as interested in my perspective on the situation as I am in theirs. Unfortunately I haven’t had as much experience in the camp as they have. But they list the names of the same people who guided me into camp last month, those who gave me roles and those who gave me optimism. Herb and Gene have watched leadership rotate, they have watched these people leave, they have watched the burn out and they have watched those with the most complex and chronic behavioral and mental health conditions remain. This conversation is informed, human and dignified. They do not expect to take action tonight and they will allow people to move at their own pace until the early morning. Action is expected around 5:00 am.

On my way out of camp, crossing to the other side of the street I walk past the Q13 Fox news station media van. I ask the two men outside what they expect to see tonight. They don’t know, they don’t really care, they “only film until 10:00 pm.” By midnight they will be long gone. “But the order takes effect at 12:01am” I exclaim. Doesn’t matter, that’s after the news hour and they’ll be off the clock. “Wow, the media and the real world are so different.” We all laugh, in different tones.

No comments: